Information We Collect
We collect personal and non-personal information when you provide it to us in the course of using our Website or services. The personal information that we may collect includes your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, credit card number, and financial information. The non-personal information that we may collect includes how you interact with our Website, products, and services, including your browser type, the URL of the previous website you visited, your ISP, operating system, your Internet Protocol (IP) address or information about connected devices (such as mobile phone, computer, or tablet) that you use. The non-personal information is not used by us to personally identify you and is not readily usable for that purpose.
When you subscribe to our Website, contact us through the Website, or otherwise make a purchase through our Website, we will collect your name, mailing address, telephone number, credit card number, email address, and other information that we request during the account creation or checkout process.
In addition, if you communicate with us regarding the Website or any of our services or products, we collect any information that you provide to us during the course of our communication. Such information may include, but is not limited to:
- Company and/or School Name
- Physical Address
- Phone Number (optional)
- Mobile Number (optional)
- Email address
- Gender (optional)
- Professional Title (optional)
- Preferred Browser (optional)
- Work Setting (optional)
- Profile Picture (optional)
- User preferences
- Product/Services Selection
- Billing information (Billing and financial information is required to bill for services rendered.)
- IP Address (We use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement)
- Login History (Last Login, Last Login IP Address, Number of Logins, Pages Accessed)
- Student(s) First Name & Last Initial
- Student(s) Areas of Need & Goals
- Student(s) Grade Level
- Student(s) Birth Month and Year (Optional)
- Student(s) Gender (Optional)
- Student(s) Activity including but not limited to Correct / Incorrect Answers (made available to the client as part of services rendered)
- Student(s) Notes taken by the client (Optional)
We may use analytic and reporting technologies to record non-personal information, such as Internet domain and host names, Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser software, operating system types, click patterns, and the dates and times that the Website and our services are accessed by you. We may contract with a third party to help us manage, monitor, and optimize our Website and measure the effectiveness of our advertising, communications, and use of the Website. We may use web beacons and cookies (described below) for this purpose.
Our Use of Information for Internal Purposes
We use your personal information primarily for our own internal purposes, such as legitimate business purposes, providing, maintaining, evaluating, and improving our Website and the products and services we offer and sell, to collect credit card payments for purchases you make, and to provide customer support.
We use the non-personal information we collect to track use of the Website and our services and to assist us in providing, maintaining, evaluating, and improving our Website and the services and products we offer and sell.
Our Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
We will disclose your personal information to protect or enforce our legal rights and policies, to protect or enforce the legal rights of a third party, or as we in good faith believe we are required to do so by law (such as to comply with a subpoena or court order, for example).
We may contract with various third parties who help us provide, maintain, and improve the Website and the services we provide and the services and products we offer and sell, and such third parties may have access to your personal information in order to perform their services. For example, we use a third party to process payments made to us, and may subcontract out production, fulfillment, analytics, reporting, or other operations. We may contract with third party contractors to help us manage, monitor, and optimize our Website and the services and products we offer and sell. We may also use third party contractors to help us measure the effectiveness of our advertising and communications. We will enter into confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements with all third parties that have access to your personal information, which will prohibit them from using or disclosing your personal information, except for the purpose of providing services to use. We intend to take commercially reasonable steps to enforce such non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements if and when we become aware of any violations.
A web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than a 1×1 pixel that is placed on a web page or in an e-mail that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Website or receiving the e-mail.
Cookies and web beacons used by us will not be linked to your personal information.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We consider protecting the security of your personal information very important. When you enter sensitive information, such as a credit card number, on our registration or order forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (sometimes referred to as “SSL”).
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we do not guarantee absolute security. We are not responsible for the unauthorized acts of others, and we assume no liability for any disclosure of information due to errors in transmission, unauthorized third-party access (such as through hacking), other acts of third parties, or acts or omissions beyond our reasonable control.
Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
You may obtain a copy of and request that we correct errors in your personal information by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do desire to obtain a copy of your personal information, you will be required to provide proof of your identity. If your personal information changes or if you no longer want to subscribe to or use the Website or our services, you may correct, update, or deactivate your personal information.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
We keep your personal information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes and as permitted by applicable law.
We delete or anonymize your information upon deletion of your account, unless:
- we must keep it to comply with applicable law;
- we must keep it to demonstrate our compliance with applicable law;
- there is an outstanding issue, claim or dispute requiring us to keep the relevant information until it is resolved; or
- the information must be kept for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention or enhancing users’ safety and security.
School or District Access
Our Website and services include educational resources that may be accessed or used by children under the age of thirteen (13). Smarty Ears is committed to protecting the privacy of children who use our Website, services, and applications. Smarty Ears complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).
Users to our Website may upload the following information pertaining to child under the age of thirteen (13): First name and last initial, school year or grade, and birth month and year. We may collect some personal information to track progress of the child on our Website and services.
Users must obtain consent from the parents of minor children before entering any information pertaining to a minor child on the Website or our services.
Opting Out from Receiving Communications from www.speechandlanguageacademy.com
You may opt-out from having your personal information used for certain purposes. If you no longer wish to receive any promotional or other communications from us, you may opt-out by following the instructions included in each email communication or by emailing us at email@example.com.
We provided you with the following tools to control your personal information:
- Account Update Tools and Settings. Tools and account settings that help you to access, correct, or delete information that you provided to us and that is associated with your account directly within the Website or services.
- Device permissions. Mobile platforms employ permission systems for specific types of device data and notifications, such as contact, camera or microphone access, or location services as well as push notifications. You can change your settings on your device to either consent or oppose the collection of the corresponding information or the display of the corresponding notifications.
- Deletion. You can delete your account.
Reviewing your information. Applicable privacy laws may give you the right to review the personal information we keep (depending on the jurisdiction, this may be called right of access, right of portability or variations of those terms). You can request a copy of your personal information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Updating your information. If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate or that we are no longer entitled to use it and want to request its rectification, deletion or object to its processing, please contact us at email@example.com
For your protection and the protection of all of our users, we may ask you to provide proof of identity before we can answer the above requests. Keep in mind, we may reject requests for certain reasons, including if the request is unlawful or if it may infringe on trade secrets or intellectual property or the privacy of another user.
UK and EU Residents: Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have a number of important rights free of charge. In summary, those include rights to:
- Fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your personal information;
- Require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold;
- Require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations;
- Receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and have the right to transmit that data to a third party in certain situations;
- Object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing;
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means which produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affecting you;
- Object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information;
- Otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
For further information on each of those rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on individuals’ rights under the General Data Protection Regulation.
Residents of California: If you are a California resident, you can request a notice disclosing the categories of personal information about you that we may have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. To request this notice, please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow thirty (30) days for a response. For your protection and the protection of all of our users, we may request that you provide proof of identity before we can answer such a request.